We've all been there; tired, nauseous, brain fog, sometimes diarrhea or vomiting, a bad headache, and spinning room. The body processes alcohol as a poison in the form of acetaldehyde which is extremely toxic and can be lethal at very high amounts. The majority of people occasionally partake in drinking alcohol so how can we lessen the effects or even better set up our body to rebound quicker?
Electrolytes play a crucial role in lessening the effects of alcohol.
1. Drink fluids BEFORE and after you consume alcohol. Alcohol is a diuretic further dehydrating you; plus if your hangover includes vomiting or diarrhea you need to replace not only fluids but electrolytes. Sipping juice or broth with Lyte Balance will instantly help your cells become hydrated and stable.
2. Grab some carbohydrates. "Drinking may lower blood sugar levels, so theoretically some of the fatigue and headaches of a hangover may be from a brain working without enough of its main fuel. Moreover, many people forget to eat when they drink, further lowering their blood sugar. Toast and juice is a way to gently nudge levels back to normal." - harvard.health.edu
Adding Lyte Balance to juice gives you a complex rapid rehydration drink.
3. Rehydrate before you go to bed. After a night of drinking it may be difficult to remember to guzzle water or juice with electrolytes but this is the most important moment to consume electrolytes; rehydrating before sleep will help you wake up with less side effects, like dry mouth, fatigue, or headache.
4. Have you heard about "hangxiety" - this occurs for some after drinking alcohol. Lyte Balance contains a higher ratio of potassium plus magnesium; mix it with chamomile tea to help calm your muscles and nerves after a night of drinking plus chamomile tea has been shown to help improve your sleep quality and relieve stomach upset. You can also mix Lyte Balance with a high sodium broth to rehydrate your cells from the inside out.
5. Go back to sleep. Alcohol disrupts your circadian rhythm making it difficult to get quality sleep. Lack of sleep exacerbates anxiety, irritability, and can make you feel more depressed. Feel better quicker by hydrating and going back to sleep.
Electrolytes are one of the most effective remedies to help with a hangover as they replenish your body with the minerals you need to retain fluids and expel toxins. When combined with water, juice, or broth they help reduce the effects of dehydration associated with drinking alcohol. Lyte Balance electrolyte concentrate includes sodium, magnesium, potassium, chloride, phosphate, sulfate, and bicarbonate giving you the essential minerals you need to recover.
*of course the only way to prevent a hangover is to abstain from drinking alcohol.